Sunday, September 13, 2015

Indigo Bananas Olive Time and Space

Olive Time and Space was released by California-based indie polish maker Indigo Bananas as part of the Fall 2015 Holos collection last month. This is a dark charcoaled olive green linear holographic polish. It's mostly overcast here today, so I'm not able to tell you about the prismatic display in direct sun but if the holographic effects in indirect light are any indication, it must be spectacular. The athleticism and responsiveness of the holographic color nuancing in this polish is blowing my mind. Beautiful darkling peacock hues of Pacific blue, cerulean, spruce and golden olive flood the deep green base with a flame-shaped flare edged in tiny sparks of yellow and red. The blues are so omnipresent that they give the polish a deep blue-green glow in the center of the nail that floats over a gleaming semi-metallic flash of golden olive, shading to a swampy near-black around the edges. It's a mercurial wonder, murky and mysterious and ostentatiously showy by turns,  a precocious, dramatic polish in an ideal color for fall.

Application was a delight. The consistency of Olive Time and Space is fluid, light and very smooth, with a luscious silky glide over the nail and excellent self-leveling properties. It is amenable to thin or thicker coats and is easily manipulated with Indigo Bananas' round flexible brush. Pigmentation is very good -- somewhat sheer on the first coat but building quickly to evenly opaque coverage in two. In her description of this polish, creator Andrea suggests three coats for darkest color and fullest holographic effects, so that's what I used for this manicure. Cleanup is easy and straightforward, and this polish applies so beautifully that you'll probably have very little of it to do. Olive Time and Space dries naturally in very good time to a smooth shiny finish. Topcoat does not diminish the holographic properties in any way.

Photos show three coats of Olive Time and Space over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite. And the sun came out while I was taking pictures, so you get to see that spectacular prismatic display after all!


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space


Indigo Bananas All of Time and Space

How about that holo, eh? Shazaam! 

I wish I'd had a camera with me when I went to the gym -- Olive Time and Space was INCREDIBLE under those lights. The finish became totally metallic and the green was bright, like a Christmas green. Tory has assigned me another balance exercise for my warm up, where I balance on one leg while standing on the bosu, steadying myself with a pole (for now -- the eventual goal is to do it without the pole). Well I wanted to show her how much I'd improved so I'm up on that bosu on one leg wobbling and bobbing and leaning heavily on the pole, so proud that I can do it for all of seven or so seconds. Come to find out she's been looking at my nails the whole time. 

Upstaged! 

love,
Liz

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you've been impressing your trainer left and right with your nails. ;) This is one of those colors that has me wanting to pull out all of my autumn polishes...I love spring polishes, but fall ones are my favorites. I don't think I have a true olive polish...I know I don't have an olive holo. The color looks very good with your skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between my polish and my person generally, the polish is a lot easier on the eyes.

      Fall is my favorite polish season too. One of my most favorite olive green holos is Elevation Polish Epidote 2. The holo is different from this one, not as linear, and the color is slightly lighter and less murky. It's gorgeous.

      I'm surprised Pretty Jelly hasn't done an olive green holo, she does such beautiful colors. Her fall collection last year was awesome. Olive seems like something that would work in nicely with her Rich Fabrics theme... I hope she does a sequel!

      Delete
  2. Lovely indeed. Its not your ordinary nail color that is why it have caught my attention. I am so excited to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love this, Julie. It's the kind of polish that makes you feel like a genius for choosing it.

      Delete
  3. LOL after reading your review, I was slowly browsing through the pics, getting an eyeful of the color and, then, wow, that flare! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing? I love linear holos like this, where the base color is deep and rich but not so much that it swallows the prismatic effects. Rather, it informs them. Although, with Olive Time and Space we do get to see a remarkable amount of the prismatic rainbow. That beautiful blue-green is my favorite part!

      Delete