Sunday, April 28, 2013

Impala Azul Pavao and Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe


Across The Universe is one of two what I call "big glitter" polishes that I own from Deborah Lippmann and they are both gorgeous. Got them on ebay, of course. Actually, I got the other one (called "Today Was A Fairy Tale," I think) first, and I did a manicure with it and took photos before I even got Across The Universe. So I'm kinda showing them out of order. That should tell you which I like best, eh? No really, I love them both! I'll try and do a post with Today Was A Fairy Tale soon.

Let's look at the pictures, shall we?

Impala Azul Pavao and Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe




I wanted to use a base coat for Across The Universe so that I wouldn't have to apply tons of coats for it to be non-see-through, and I decided to use Azul Pavao. Azul Pavao is a Brazilian polish. I got a bunch of Impala polishes on ebay all from one seller. Impala makes excellent polishes and don't you just adore the shape of their bottles! Azul Pavao is a deep blue green jelly polish, meaning it is translucent. I applied two coats for a base but I forgot to take pictures of it alone, my bad. When that was dry, I applied two coats of Across The Universe. Finally I added a coat of Seche Vite clear fast dry topcoat. And here's the result...
 
Deborah Lippmann Across The Universe

Oh so pretty my prrrrecioussss.... LOL. Across The Universe has large green and blue hex glitters and blue shimmers in a dark ocean blue jelly base. When you layer coats the blue jelly covers some of the glitter and gives it a slighty different color and look so that by adding layers you get a look where the glitters appear to be swimming in the blue. It's hard to see this in the photos, it's really much better in person. I took a movie of it, but I don't know how to upload it yet. I hope I get a chance to show you this when I visit! Here's a close up of my thumb nail...
 
layers of glittery goodness!

You can see the tiny blue shimmers pretty well in that photo. So I wore this for a day and decided I'd add an accent nail. What is an accent nail, you may ask. An accent nail is when you add a coat of a different but complimentary polish to one (usually the ring finger) or more (like maybe the thumb too) of your nails. Festive! And you get to pair up colors, which is always fun. So I looked at some of my newest polish arrivals, and there was China Glaze Water You Waiting For (hat tip to Lady GaGa, maybe?). Water You Waiting For is an all glitter polish: blue, green and I think there may be some purple in there too. It's hard to see in my (dark) photo.



China Glaze Water You Waiting For










Water You Waiting For, sixth from the left, and Across The Universe, seventh from the left


As you can see, I swatched it on a palette wheel next to Across The Universe and they looked pretty good together. I actually took that photo through the magnifying lens of a big lighted studio task lamp that we attached to the kitchen table. I love painting my nails there under this lamp!

Anyway, I added a coat of Water You Waiting For to my ring fingers. First though here is the "before" look...
 
at the bathroom window

Now here is the "after" look...

at the bathroom window with glittery accent nail

What do you think? I like it! Not sure I like it better than Across The Universe by itself, it's just different. However! I thought, not different enough. So I added a matte topcoat to the Water You Waiting for nails and here's what I got...


add a coat of matte topcoat and voila!

Even better with the matte topcoat, no? I think so too! I love adding a matte topcoat to glitters, it makes them glowy and mozaic-like up close.

the final look: Across The Universe with matte accent nail Water You Waiting For


close up closer *teehee*


So that's that. I weeded the pen in this polish (forgot my gloves, d'oh) and I've been filing my nails so it's time to go take it off. Not that I'm looking forward to that because glitter polish is hard to remove. But if I don't take it off, I can't put more on now can I? And we must have MORE!

love,
Aunt Liz

p.s. Don't my cuticles look a little better now? I've been working on them.  






No comments:

Post a Comment