Thursday, March 13, 2014

Zoya Caitlin

Caitlin was released by Zoya as part of its Intimate collection for spring 2011. Zoya describes it as a "smoky purple-tinged medium gray." I'd describe it as a smooth medium-toned muted grey-violet creme, the color of clouds rolling in before a storm. On MakeUpAlley, where I found a number of interesting reviews, one reviewer poetically called it a smoky hydrangea, an apt and beautiful description. Mostly, Caitlin is a combination of violet and grey, and will display either or even blue as a predominant hue depending upon skin tone and lighting.

Application was very nice. The consistency is fluid and light but not runny. There is a certain translucence to the formula (which I love), but pigmentation is still very good and since the formula lays down evenly without streaking it can be worn as a one coater, albeit a slightly sheer one. Two coats builds the coverage to opacity for the most part, although in direct sunlight I think I can still detect trace hints of natural nail in certain areas. A third coat would have settled the issue, but I only did two. Cleanup is quick and and easy. Caitlin dries naturally in good time to a glossy finish. Adding topcoat worked well settling out areas where I thought there was a bit of unevenness in the opacity.

Photos show two coats of Caitlin over Seche Rebuild treatment and Butter London Nail Foundation basecoat with a topcoat of HK Girl.


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin


Zoya Caitlin

This is beautiful sophisticated color. It is sleek and smoky but has a gentle softness that keeps edginess at bay. But only just! In person, it pulls more violet than it does in my photos. In fact, I showed it to Fuzzy and the first things she said were, "Lavender! Easter!" Hmm. I think the Fuzz has a smokier idea of Easter colors than I do. Actually, smokiness seems to me to be the antithesis of Easter colors, and Caitlin is a fantastic alternative to the flood of pastels we are seeing in collections this spring. 

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous grey! I have a lot of grey cremes in my collection. I've noticed that they go great with many glitters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite thing about it is the slight translucence that it has that gives it so much depth for a creme. I imagine one of Shimmer Polish's purple mixes would be gorgeous with this one!

      Delete