Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Misa Bikini with a Martini

Stepping well out of my comfort zone today, I bring you an unusual neon from Misa called Bikini with a Martini. This polish was released with Misa's Look on the Bright Side collection in August 2008, and it's a rare red neon. My first and only neon polish! I can't remember which blog I saw this on, but it wasn't too long ago and the concept of a red neon just kinda stuck with me so during my latest order for supplies from Head2Toe Beauty, I added it to my cart.

Bikini with a Martini is an orangey red, but when you look at the typical neon orange (the traffic cone sort of color) you can see that this one is much more red than orange. It actually has loads of pink in it too. In the bottle and on the nail in dim light it is a searing tomato red with hot pink overtones. On the nail in most lights it's an over the top hot red orange. The formula is outstanding for a neon. Fluid, smooth and thin, it's not the least bit chalky and in fact has a degree of translucence to it that is more like a jelly than anything. It applies beautifully, too, without any of the streakiness that often accompanies neon application. It's not the best self-leveler, but can be applied in thin coats so that's not much of a problem. Two coats are pretty sufficient for opaque coverage but I added a third just to be sure. Bikini with a Martini dries naturally in very good time to a smooth slightly rubbery-looking finish.

Photos show three coats of Bikini with a Martini over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite. I went ahead and happily let my camera freak out over the intensity of the color as the results actually do justice to what this polish is like in person. This manicure isn't my best work -- there's acetone residue around my nails, a bubble or two (or three) in the topcoat and (still!) leftover glitters from Heartless. Oh well, either it's all right or it's too bad, as Fuzzy would say. 

Misa Bikini with a Martini

Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini


Misa Bikini with a Martini

For a neon aficionado, I'd think this would be one for the books. Eye-searing color in an unusual shade with a great formula and easy application, huzzah! Although I don't think the color does much for me, it's still an awesome polish. Neon lovers, take note!

love,
Liz







2 comments:

  1. I think this is pretty but it's not really my kind of color. I'm really picky when it comes to reds, as they aren't my favorites. Same with oranges. Still, it would be great for summer and when you want something bold on your nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really me, either, but I had to try it!

      Delete