Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Zoya Holly

Holly was released by Zoya as part of the Gems and Jewels collection for holiday 2011. Sadly it didn't make it to Zoya's core line but you can still find it quite easily on Amazon or ebay. I've had this polish for a while with every intension to feature it before Christmas -- and we all know where that paved path leads to. But if I do wind up in hell, I don't think it'll be for swatching this beautiful Christmas green a few days after Christmas so here we go. 

Holly is a medium-toned emerald green with tone-on-tone finely-milled particulate shimmers that produce a glowing, semi-metallic finish. The color is bold and lush to the point of decadence, and has that wonderful lit-from-within quality that makes a polish come alive on the nail. I'd heard great things about this lacquer but was kind of meh about it in the bottle once I'd got it. Now that I'm actually wearing it, however, I can say that it deserves all the praise it receives. It's a vivacious, outgoing, happy polish that is sure to be noticed and likes it that way. 

Application was great! The consistency of Holly is a bit more fluid than I'm used to from Zoya, but very smooth and with enough body to it not to be runny. It's very maneuverable and has an easy flow over the nail. Self-leveling properties with a thin polish aren't typically stellar and that's the case with this one, especially since it has the kind of semi-metallic finish that is bound to highlight nail bed flaws. Pigmentation is very good with completely even opacity in two coats. My nail ridges are detectable under this coverage, but the brilliant emerald color makes them less noticeable in person. In fact, I didn't even see them until I began editing the photos. Next time I'll try doubling up on the basecoat. Another tiny pique I have with Holly is that it can be a little brushstrokey, but again the color makes this less of an issue than it would be with a less vibrant shade. Cleanup is easy and straightforward. Holly dries naturally in good time to a smooth shiny finish.

Photos show two coats of Holly over treatment and basecoat with a slightly bubbly topcoat of Seche Vite.


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly


Zoya Holly
Sometimes really fine shimmer can result in a frosty look, but Zoya avoids that here by using a particulate size that is fine enough to blend with and transform the color but not so fine that you can't see that it's there to do just that. I normally go for chunkier shimmers than this for that very reason, but I'm really happy with how Holly looks on my nails. It's really quite dressy and the color is so joyful that it avoids any pretense of reserve. Spirited and buoyant, this would make a great St. Patrick's Day manicure. Time enough between now and then for you to be ready to see a brilliant green on your nails again, eh?

love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment