Thursday, June 11, 2015

KBShimmer Pink-a Colada

I have one more polish to show you from my recent KBShimmer Summer 2015 collection buying spree. It's one of the four glitter crellies in that collection, creme/jelly hybrid polishes bearing a mix of variously-sized glitters. I don't cotton to glitter polishes nearly as much as I used to, having become cranky and peevish enough about the extra time and effort required for the removal process to overshadow my enthusiasm for seeing these sorts of glitter mixes on my nails. So you know that when I go out of my way to buy one of these multicolored twinklers, it must have that certain je ne sais quoi that rekindles the early fervor.

Pink-a Colada is described as a "violet leaning pink crelly polish with holographic glitters in lime green, light blue and pink." The glitters are hex-shaped and range in size from micro to medium. The base color is a beautiful translucent medium magenta/raspberry pink, a romantic, flirty, feminine shade. What really frosts the cake for me are the contrastingly-colored holographic glitters, especially the blue ones. I adore combinations of pinks and blues, they have a magpie-like attraction for me and I respond just like Pavlov's dog. Just... YUM! Thanks to the translucence of the base color, plenty of light penetrates the layers to excite multicolored responses from the holographic components within. The tiny rainbow sparks from the micro-sized glitters are particularly adorable, forming a loose net of twinkling colors that ties everything together beautifully. As multicolored twinklers go, this one is mighty fine!

Because of the translucent formula and the severity of polish stains retained by my nails, I began this manicure with a double coat of Deborah Lippmann's new All About That Base Correct and Conceal basecoat, which I got on ebay specifically for use under translucent and semi-sheer polishes. This is a sheerish bandaid-colored basecoat that dries to a matte finish, further diffusing the presence of anything untoward beneath it. One coat might not have been enough but two did the trick so well that I now consider this crucial to my nail polish equipage. It camouflages both stains and visible nail line much more effectively than even my formerly beloved Butter London Nail Foundation did, and goes on more evenly too. Win!

With a double layer of All About That Base in place, application of Pink-a Colada was a veritable breeze. The consistency is fluid, light and eminently paintable with a smooth, even flow over the nail and excellent self-leveling properties. Glitter payoff is most satisfying -- not too much, not too little, just the perfect Goldilocks amount to disperse randomly and effortlessly over the nail as you paint, no dabbing or special manipulation required. I had no trouble with stacking or free edge protrusions at all. Coverage is buildable, but Pink-a Colada applies so evenly that you could wear it at one coat if you didn't mind visible nail line or wore a VNL-camouflaging basecoat underneath. The color deepens and becomes richer with subsequent coats, and three nets pretty near bottle color. I had very little cleanup to do and I did it as I went along, easy-peasy. Pink-a Colada dries naturally in very good time to a shiny finish with some texture from the components, which I smoothed with a layer of Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food before finishing with topcoat. My one and only tiny quibble with application of Pink-a Colada is that it's a tad sheer on the tip-wrap.

Photos show three coats of Pink-a Colada over treatment and a double layer of basecoat with a smoothing layer of Glitter Food followed by a topcoat of Seche Vite. Please ignore the topcoat weirdness.


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada


KBShimmer Pink-a Colada

The color in my photos seems a little saturated to me. In person there's a slightly subdued quality to the base color that's probably a side effect of its translucence. All the better to let the glitters steal the show! I love this glitter mix, it's just so darn pretty and it makes my eyes happy. The lively sparkles give Pink-a Colada a light and playful air. Gorgeous in the bottle, I think it's actually prettier on the nail.

And because I can, I'm including a photo of my significant other's snack from yesterday for your amusement. He loves an artfully arranged plate -- faces are kinda extra-curricular but they always make me smile.

Lunch is served at La Cocina de Playswithfood....

Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you have a fabulous day!

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Aww....this mani is so pretty! I super love the color. I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! It's a sweet little sparkler!

      Delete