Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Zoya Apple

Here's another Zoya for you and guess what? It's green! The name of this polish is Apple.

Zoya says: "Apple can be best described as [a] luminous yellow-toned apple green packed with gold metallic sparkle. A dimensional green that's clean and bright." At the outset, I would agree. When you behold Apple in the bottle, it is a shimmering bright green. But to me, it's not a yellow green.


Zoya Apple in the bottle

Here's another Zoya polish that is swimming with their magical bright gold shimmer, so you know that there's definitely going to be some sparkle happening here. But look at the bottle, especially around the edges. What do you see? Me, I see BLUE. A deep aquatic sort of blue. We know that blue and yellow make green. That, right there, is the key to this lovely little chameleon of a polish.


Zoya Apple, macro shot in the bottle

Look at that macro shot. See what I mean about it not being a yellow green? The bright yellow gold shimmer peeking through the deep aqua blue is gonna register as bright green. But it's the blue that has the last word, not the yellow. We actually have the potential for a range of greens to appear here depending on how the light from the shimmer refracts through the blue.

Before we get to the rest of the photos, a word about the quality of this manicure. It began as all of them do with a basecoat and ended as all of them do with a topcoat. In between I applied three coats of Apple. All was well (or so I thought) until I fell asleep watching a Law and Order Special Victims Unit marathon on tv and didn't wake up until morning. Sometime in the night, stealthy dent gremlins crept up had a go at my freshly manicured finger nails. You will see evidence of this on the ring finger nails and right thumb and pointer finger nails and probably elsewhere as well. I tried to minimize the damage in the morning with another coat of Seche Vite without much success.

Freshly manicured nails are the natural prey of dent gremlins. But you can thwart their efforts to mar your hard work by remaining conscious until the time of greatest vulnerability passes. That is the lesson here, grasshopper.

Speaking of grasshoppers, Zoya Apple really reminds me of them! And green katydids and praying mantises. It has their springy brightness and shares a certain translucent quality of their greenness.

Back to the manicure and the photos. The pics pointed out to me that once again my clean-up skills missed the mark. I will work on that.


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple, on my thumb and in the bottle


Zoya Apple, with eyelash


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


at the window...


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple, macro shot on the nail


Zoya Apple


a bit blurry but included for comparison with photo immediately above -- the many faces of Apple!


Zoya Apple


Zoya Apple

Love! So changeable! Overall definitely a "young green" green, though, with a young green's soft cheerful energy. The dense gold shimmer and foily finish add a certain zesty glamour. Oh it's a great polish for spring and summer. And I can even see it as a zingy festive Christmas green too. 

I know you love greens. How do you feel about foily metallic greens? Do you think you could make room in your activity-filled day for the time it would take to sit through a three coat manicure? Actually I think for your nails it would only take two. And I think this polish would look FABULOUS on you.

One thing's for sure, Zoya's definitely got this sparkly shimmer thing DOWN. Very satisfying to know for those times when you have a sparkly shimmery itch that wants scratching, know what I mean?

love,
Aunt Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment