Thursday, June 27, 2013

Above The Curve The Baby Blues

I have a wonderful light blue linear holo to show you in this post. It's called The Baby Blues and it's made by indie polish maker Above The Curve.

Above The Curve is a husband and wife polish-making team whose mission is to raise awareness about Shriner's Hospital for Children and Scoliosis. Scoliosis is a complex medical condition in which the patient's spine is curved from side to side. For every polish sold, Above The Curve donates $1 to Shriner's Hospital for Children, where the wife received treatment for scoliosis herself.

Creating nail polish is a labor of love and altruism for Above The Curve. You just can't help but applaud and want to support such efforts, no? They are careful formulators with a seeming knack for creating lovely and super-well-behaved lacquers. All three Above The Curve polishes that I own are apply beautifully, clean up easily and dry quickly. 

The Baby Blues is a pale silvery blue holo with a discreet linear flair. Although it's not the most flamboyant showy holo that ever rode into town, it's prismatic nature is pervasive and shows subtly almost all the time, in all kinds of lighting. It shows most strongly in direct sunlight, of course. At the time I photographed this manicure, we were having mostly clouds with intermittent periods where the sun managed to burn through the cloud cover. I think my photos show The Baby Blues maybe not at its most holographic but more as its typical self.

I used my regular base and topcoats by Seche for this mani. In some holo polishes the prismatic effect is diminished by topcoat and their makers advise against using it. I did not find this to be at all true for The Baby Blues.


Above the Curve The Baby Blues, bottle shot


Above the Curve The Baby Blues macro shot in the bottle -- prismatic flair is subtle but it's definitely present


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues, on my thumb and in the bottle


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues, macro shot on the nail -- beauty!


 I love and adore this sleek silky color, being a holo is icing on the cake


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


at the window lookin' glossy...


so prrrrretty my prrrrrecious, we loves it...


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues out the house y'all


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


so glossy! *air kiss to seche vite*


see what I mean about showing a bit of holo flair in almost all lights? this is deep shade on a cloudy day and there it is, almost like it's just below the surface...


¡olĂ©!


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues

And here are a few bonus pics I took when I wore this polish early in the spring...


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues


Above the Curve The Baby Blues

My clean up skills have improved since then, no?

I adore this polish. Everything about it is wonderful and makes me feel good. I love the coolly elegant and sophisticated silvery blue, so soothing and graceful on the nail. I love the prismatic subtlety of it, which adds a feeling of heartfullness to wearing it like a marvelous secret that you keep for your own self. 

I also love the finish of it, which has a delicious tactile squishiness thing going on that translates through the topcoat. It reminds me of some of the state-of-the-art soft-touch polymers that car manufacturers use in high-end auto interiors. You just love to touch it.

The Baby Blues is one of the first indie polishes I bought for myself and the very first one I ever wore. I bought it after reading about the creator's own experience with scoliosis and her policy of donating a portion of her proceeds to Shriner's Hospital for Children. For those reasons and for all its other endearing qualities it's one of my very favorites in my collection.

It would also, I think, look simply lovely on YOU!

love,
Aunt Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment