Sunday, February 25, 2018

Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice

Sugar & Spice was just released at the beginning of this month by Colorado-based indie polish maker Colors by Llarowe as part of the Mild & Wild collection. Officially described as "a light lilac creme base with pink to red fine shimmer," to me the color is more of a medium-light floral lavender, bright and deliciously creamy. Abundant superfine particulate shimmers give the polish a transparent pink sheen and a delicate, luminous reddish-pink mist along the axis of light that has a subtle dimensionalizing effect on the look and a dainty sparkle in the sun.

Application was interesting. The consistency of Sugar & Spice is fluid and creamy with an eminently-paintable, medium viscosity and a buttery, even, self-leveling glide over the nail, so nice! Pigmentation is very good, delivering evenly opaque coverage in two or three coats, depending on how you paint. The first coat dried noticeably lighter than it went on, but the second returned the look to bottle color. Cleanup is easy. Sugar & Spice dries naturally in good time to a smooth shiny finish.

I'm curious about the pigment used in this polish because the color appears to react to quick-dry topcoat, developing barely perceptible streaks and irregular areas that are ever-so-slightly deeper, as well as a whisper-thin band at the cuticle edge especially that is slightly lighter. This may be my hyper-acute visual discrimination aptitude freaking out on me as the differences are very slight, perhaps even unnoticeable by someone else, but I did want to mention it.

Photos show three coats of Sugar & Spice over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Girly Bits Glitter Glaze.


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice


Colors by Llarowe Sugar & Spice

A gorgeous, singing color for spring! Really resonates with those purple spring bloomers like crocus, violets, iris, lilac and wysteria!

love,
Liz

5 comments:

  1. Hey Liz! Not sure if you know, but the word "spazzing" is really ableism - it's based on a common uk slur for people with developmental disabilities. Prob better avoided…

    The polish itself is beautiful, but a bit too floral for me, I think! Wouldn't go with most of the clothes I wear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lasoti! I didn't even think about it, my intended meaning went along the lines of "flaky" or "ditzy" -- which really goes to show how embedded these kinds of things are and how much more careful and conscious I need to be to avoid them. I've changed it and very much appreciate your point, thanks again!

      I was wearing this polish when John took some photos of me curled up on my chaise lounge with my dog and the first thing I noticed when I looked at the pics (besides my double chin) was how very bright this polish was, and not in a good way. I love the creamy color, but it's really not the best look for me, just not congruent with the generally unkempt aura of my person.

      Delete
  2. I love the color of this polish! I wish that the shimmer was more visible because the contrast is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderfully bright and creamy shade, isn't it? The shimmer adds a noticeable amount of dimension to the look on the nail.

      Delete