Friday, February 16, 2018

Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets

Like Endless Shrimp, Deep Sea-crets was released in May last year by Iowa-based indie polish maker Tonic Polish as part of the Spring 2017 collection. This polish is constructed similarly to Endless Shrimp and another polish in the collection, I Pink You Blew Me Off, with a creamy base, here in turquoise, filled with fine color-shifting shimmers. The base color is a milky, medium-light cyanic shade with, to my eye, a green lean, something like pearl mystic turquoise or verdigris. Superabundant, finely-milled shimmers in peachy-pink give it a silky, vitreous glow along the axis of light that reminds me of chiffon or milk glass, and shifts to pale yellow as you turn your fingers into the light. Delicious!

Application was equally delicious. The consistency of Deep Sea-crets is fluid and smooth with a medium viscosity and a super creamy, even, self-leveling glide over the nail. Often polishes with heavy shimmer like this can show brushstrokes, but this one shows practically none -- nice! Pigmentation is very good. Some sheerness on the first coat builds easily to wearably opaque coverage with the second. I could still detect some darker areas around my nail line, so I added a third for the photos but would happily wear it at two if I weren't taking pictures of it. Cleanup is easy. Deep Sea-crets dries naturally in good time to a smooth, slightly flat finish that wants a glossy topcoat to accentuate the presence and effects of the shimmers and look its very best.

Photos show three coats of Deep Sea-crets over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets


Tonic Polish Deep Sea-crets

My experience with Deep Sea-crets went a lot like Endless Shrimp, with initial apprehension soon giving way to admiration, even awe. Although I don't normally go for colors in the sea green family because I think that they make my fingers look dirty, the delicate, dimensional shimmer effects and wonderful, creamy formula of this polish won my heart. It's simply beautiful on the nail, smooth, silky and luminous, and it FEELS beautiful also, with a fetching, almost chatoyant quality like polished moonstone. Lovely!

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been posting so many Tonics lately that I should rename my blog. lol I just love the brand so much and I'm sad I didn't get into it until late last year. This is such a beautiful polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey's shimmers were what first attracted me to Tonic and they're still pretty much my favorites. Tonic has a great fan base, no? You know that your blog will see a lot of traffic when you do a Tonic swatch and review! Love your blog, Cynthia!

      Delete