Thursday, August 15, 2013

Comparison: Zoya Jana and Barielle Putt-E On Me

If the color taupe doesn't thrill you right now, Eleanor, I guarantee you that at some moment in the future it will. Trust me on this.

Basically, taupe is a combination of black, brown and white in varying proportions. Other colors often get thrown in the mix like pink, rose, mauve, purple, yellow or orange, to create variations on the temperature of the color. The reason taupe is so important is because it's one of the most perfect neutrals ever, a holy grail neutral. The search for the perfect taupe is a happy joyful one, to be pursued at leisure or not, with enthusiasm and a measured eye. It is a consummate expression of love for color that can last as long as you want it to.

I adore taupe so it's a little surprising that I'm only just now beginning to appreciate taupe nail polishes. Late bloomer syndrome? Probably, considering. Well my search for the perfect taupe nail polish is officially under way with this post, in which I'll be showing you two taupes, one from Zoya and one from Barielle.

First, Zoya Jana. Jana is described by Zoya as a "medium nude putty creme with grey, mauve and purple tones." To my eye, it's a medium to medium dark murky taupe creme with mauve overtones and stronger purple undertones. This is a fascinating color. It's a bit of a changeling, shifting from a creamy complex mauvey grey in direct light to a much darker muddy purple in dim lighting or shade. It has a creamy complexion that is very soothing. This is comfort polish territory, for sure.

Jana got a little thick on me during application but it was nothing that a few squirts of polish thinner couldn't rectify. Polish thinner is your good, good friend! Jana's constistency was dense and very smooth, and it dries to glossy shine. With a well loaded brush and a light touch, Jana could almost be a one coater. I did two coats over my usual basecoat duo of Seche Rebuild and Butter London Nail Foundation, plus a topcoat of Seche Vite.

Now the Barielle. The name of this polish is Putt-E On Me. *crickets chirping* Get it? Neither did I, and I blame the person who named U-Concrete-Me because they obviously had a hand in naming this one also.

Putt-E On Me is a well-pigmented medium muddy taupe creme with brown and purple undertones. Those undertones seem to pull really strongly on me -- I've seen photos of this polish on folks where it looked much more grey. Putt-E On Me is less changeable than Jana and seems to maintain its general coloring regardless of lighting.

It applies beautifully and like Jana is also almost a one coater. The consistency is lighter and more fluid than Jana, though it got thicker as I applied it. I think I'll chalk up this thickening polish syndrome to the heat and humidity we're experiencing here right now --you will find that most nail polishes actually are sensitive to such ambient conditions. Putt-E On Me doesn't like being overworked or applied too thickly and bubbles if it is. *looks pointedly at left thumb nail* Also like Jana it dries to a high shine. 

If you're wondering why I haven't shown you any photos yet, it's because these two are more or less dupes of one another. They aren't exactly the same, but the differences between them are few enough and subjective enough that for all practical purposes they don't matter. To paraphrase a well-known prolific polish blogger, they are both mousy, faded fashion shades of taupe.

For the manicure photos I used two coats of each color plus topcoat. I am going to intermix manicure pics but will identify the polish used in the caption. It's not my intention to overload you with images of taupe nail polish, but you know what they say about a certain oft-traveled and infamous road... share the ride! *wink*

Zoya Jana and Barielle Putt-E On Me, bottle shot

Zoya Jana and Barielle Putt-E On Me, with two-coat swatches

Zoya Jana, left, and Barielle Putt-E On Me, right -- two-coat swatches in indirect sunlight

Zoya Jana, left, and Barielle Putt-E On Me, right -- two-coat swatches in direct sunlight

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

Zoya Jana

Barielle Putt-E On Me

I swatched these two before I started working on this post, but I swatched them at one coat each on the swatch wheel. At only one coat, they were different enough to me to warrant a full manicure each. After I'd done the manicures, first with Jana and then with Putt-E On Me, I realized how similar they really were but wasn't convinced they were close enough to be dupes. It was only after I began to work with the photos that I got there. I did another swatch on the wheel, this time with two coats each, took photos, looked them over and wondered no more.

The photos for Jana were taken early in the morning, for Putt-E On Me in the mid-afternoon. But enough like photos of each turned out so that I could show them together this way, so I decided to make the whole experience into a post.

None of this changes the way I feel about taupe! I love both of these polishes. Which one would I choose if I had to pick one? I honestly don't know. If someone came along and wanted one or the other, off it would go to a new home. 

Actually, don't you think this color would make a nice pedicure for your mom? I do!

love,
Aunt Liz








No comments:

Post a Comment