Tuesday, March 17, 2015

CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane

G.I. Jane was released by new-to-me Canadian indie polish maker CANVAS Lacquer as part of the Girl Gang Trio in September 2014. It has a medium-dark olive drab jelly base with abundant golden flake shimmers as well as a complex mixture of flecky microshimmers in gold, copper, turquoise and green. The turquoise flecks are an especially beautiful addition. On the nail, G.I. Jane is a sleek, glamorous take on an edgy color with a beautiful burnished sheen to it and a subtle constellation of sparkle from the gold and copper shimmers, which adds a nice dimensionality to the overall look. It's one of those polishes that feels elevated to fashionable chicness by it's muted, earthy nature and subtle combination of components. It is deceptively complex, but feels simple, direct and classic.

Application was interesting. The consistency of G.I. Jane is fluid, dense and thicker than usual. Given my difficulties with thicker polishes, I added polish thinner at the outset but there remained a certain jelly-ish stickiness to the formula that caused some patchiness on the first coat. I found it easiest to apply with a generously loaded brush and a light touch. The second coat goes on more easily, with a smooth, self-leveling flow over the nail. Pigmentation is very good. With a thicker first coat followed by a thinner second one, I achieved an even opaque coverage that I was happy with. Cleanup is easy and straightforward. G.i. Jane dries naturally in average time to a smooth, low-shine finish that is enhanced by a glossy topcoat, which also pops the shimmers.

Photos show two coats of G.I. Jane over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane


CANVAS Lacquer G.I. Jane

Fuzzy really liked this polish, as I suspected she might, although she objected to its classification as an olive drab, preferring instead to call it "an olive tinged with charcoal." Greens are her favorite, and this is such an interesting one. She thought it was very elegant and stylish, and we agreed that it would be a great polish to wear while traveling. It just really has that "go anywhere, do anything" kind of feel to it, very light and sleek on the nail in spite of being a darker color.

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. "Olive tinged with charcoal"- what an incredibly apt description! Way to go, Fuzzy!! I agree, the turquoise flecks really drive this composition home. This polish reminds me so much of a dear friend who got really into "olive drab" while we were in Denmark, though both of us love aqua more than anything <3 Happy St. Patrick's Day, as I see it is already officially so in your longitude! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuzzy objects to the word drab and its pejorative definition as an adjective being associated with a color she finds beautiful. Never mind that there's a Wikipedia entry for "olive drab" that's not pejorative at all and in fact is very informative! Hope your exam went well!

      Delete