Sunday, February 21, 2016

Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky

No I'm Still Tacky was released in June 2015 by Colorado-based indie polish maker Colors by Llarowe (CbL) as part of the Overboard collection, a wonderful eclectic series of polishes inspired by 1987 romantic comedy film of the same name. Described as a magenta-leaning cherry red holo, this is indeed a drop dead gorgeous cherry red, slightly deeper and rosier than alizarin crimson but in the same family. Without topcoat, it has a satin finish that is finely grained by holographic pigment particles, which in almost any circumstance produce a gorgeous prismatic bloom with a shimmering golden heart. Topcoat deepens and intensifies the base color and coalesces the particles, creating a velvety rose-petal visual texture and a radiant dimensional glow along the axis of light that gives the brilliant cherry red a lit-from-within quality. 

Application was fabulous. The consistency of No I'm Still Tacky is fluid, light and smooth with a thin-to-medium viscosity and a nearly effortless silky self-leveling slip over the nail. This is a user friendly formula, amenable to thin or thicker coats and easily manipulated with CbL's flattened flexible brush. Pigmentation is outstanding, providing evenly opaque coverage and full rich color in a single coat. I added a second coat to ensure the non-appearance of my nail ridges and maximize the polish's holographic properties, but it did not appear to alter the color. Cleanup is something you'll want to minimize at the outset as it requires some vigilance and a cleanup brush that is carefully dampened -- too much acetone or remover will liquefy the pigment and leave residual staining to cuticles and skin. No I'm Still Tacky dries naturally in very good time to a silky satin finish. Topcoat affects both the color and holographic effects as I mentioned above.

Photos show two coats of No I'm Still Tacky over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky


Colors by Llarowe No, I'm Still Tacky

As far as red holos go, CbL's are in a class of their own. Every time I try one, I am blown away. If The Mighty Red Baron is the rich vibrant mezzo of creator Leah Ann's chorus of red holos, No I'm Still Tacky is its soprano counterpart, a soaring exuberant jewel of a red. And while you're purchasing these two, take a good look at Pirates of Penzance as well. You can't go wrong with a red holo from Leah Ann!

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. I had to pick up my jaw from the floor when I saw your photos. Wowzers, it's a stunner. I want this polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I though you'd like this, Lara! It's definitely worthy of your collection.

      Delete