Thursday, April 17, 2014

Zoya Beatrix

Beatrix was released by Zoya as part of its PixieDust collection for summer 2013. Like the two other orange PixieDusts I own, Dhara and Destiny, Beatrix has Zoya's "exclusive textured matte foil twinkle formula." The foil element is the only thing that differentiates these guys from the regular textured PixieDust look, in that not only do you have the madly sparkling glittery sugar crystal thing going on but it's going on over a metallic-like foil base that adds an addition reflective element to the mix. In my experience, these foil PixieDusts have more nuancing of the base color than the regular ones do. I'm very fond of both versions -- I find the regular versions more subtle and the foil more visually striking.

Beatrix is no exception. Zoya calls this a "tangerine metal[lic] sparkle," and I agree. As I contemplated my bottle of Beatrix while waiting for my treatment and basecoat to dry, I wondered whether I was truly up to the orange-yellow lacquer inside. I got about three nails into my manicure and realized that I had a big smile on my face. Once again, I am surprised and delighted by Zoya's composition and formula. Beatrix is a true unbloodied golden orange and yet it is surprisingly mellow in comparison with my other orange PixieDusts. The color reminds me of June daylillies.

Application-wise, Beatrix is very much in line with the rest of the PixieDust line. Thin coats with plenty of dry time between them produces the best looking results -- a dry sugary crystalline finish where the glittery elements ride on top of the polish with maximum sparkle. Of course, with the metallic element in there you also get an overall reflective effect from the base color as well, but it's not so strong as to detract from the texture. Just strong enough to nuance the color into lighter and deeper versions of itself depending upon the way light is hitting it. This foil effect is a bit less pronounced in Beatrix than in Dhara or Destiny, but Beatrix is no less gorgeous for that.

So, consistency is fluid but grainy and dense with texture particles that splay the brush a little. Pigmentation is ok, a tad sheer on the first coat but buildable. I could have lived with the opacity I got in two coats but did one more for the photos and I'm glad I did, the color is more vibrant at three. Beatrix dries naturally in fairly good time for thin coats to it's signature sandy textured finish.

Photos show three coats of Beatrix over treatment and basecoat with no topcoat.

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Zoya Beatrix

Like I said, for an orange I find this if not mellow then soothing somehow, perhaps because it is such a true clean fresh organic orange. So many orange polishes feel like they're trying too hard to be hazardous. Not this one. It is sweet and juicy! The color brightens up even more in full sun and sparkles like crazy, but I prefer it in indirect light and shade, with the glitters twinkling like sand on a beach and the metallic aspect gleaming softly along the axis of light. 

love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment