Monday, April 28, 2014

Zoya Trixie

I honestly have no idea when or with which collection Trixie was released. It's certainly been with us for a while and has a whopping 27 reviews on Zoya's website, the most I've ever seen for any polish there. Zoya describes Trixie as a "stunning light silver with a sparkling metallic foil finish," and I agree. This is a very special silver with a highly reflective metallic base filled with scintillating foily silver shimmers. As one MUA reviewer put it, it's like double chocolate chip cookies, the best of both worlds.

Application was a little tricky for a couple of reasons, one being my less than stellar painting skills. Since metallics are notorious for showing irregularities of the nail bed, I began with two coats of Butter London Nail Foundation, my favorite ridge-filling basecoat. The consistency of Trixie is very fluid and it likes to travel so beware lest it flood your cuticles. Pigmentation is excellent with even coverage and near opacity in one coat (and I've read that many enjoy wearing it at one), complete opacity in two. 

My application turned out to be pretty messy with several flooded edges, severe swipage especially on my finger tips while wrapping the free edge and one completely flooded cuticle. Argh! Painful, because this puppy is a beeyotch to clean up. Tiny silvery shimmers go EVERYWHERE and it seems like no amount of sweeping with a cleanup brush will remove them entirely. Perhaps a cotton swab would work better but I didn't try that. A thorough hand-washing after cleanup (and removal as well) helps to unseat most of the shimmers that are left behind.

I don't have any advisement on dry time because I immediately applied a fast dry topcoat to protect the metallic finish, which is quite vulnerable to smudges until it's dry. But I would expect Trixie to dry in fairly good time as most of Zoya's foils seem to do. The foily shimmers in this polish keep it from having a mirror chrome-like reflectivity (Trixie has more of a brushed or burnished looking finish), but the good news is that they also circumvent the brushstrokiness that's commonly seen with metallic polishes.

Photos show two coats of Trixie over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of HK Girl. Chagrin du jour: a big fat bubble in my topcoat on the middle finger nail of my left hand. Note to self: overworking topcoat is not a legitimate form of exercise.


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie


Zoya Trixie

I think this is a great silver metallic. I'm a huge fan of Zoya's foils and I think in this case it really makes the polish. Even though metallics aren't quite the rage now as they were four years ago when Minx Nails were everywhere, they still pop up every now and then as witnessed by OPI and Gwen Stefani's collaborative Push and Shove. And while you won't get the chromed nail look with Trixie as you do with Push and Shove, it's still a beautiful silver to have in your collection and you don't need a special basecoat to apply it. 

love,
Liz

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! The only silver metallic that I have in my collection is China Glaze Cheers To You and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, Melissa! I'm trying to get over your haul posts, they just blew me away! There's some serious swatching in your future!

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you're liking them! I still have two parts left to it. I know, I really need to start wearing all of them. I just procrastinate sometimes and it's also hard choosing one color out of a pile of pretties.

      Delete
    3. Two more haul posts?!? Incredible!!

      Delete